Couple died of hypothermia

 

A couple found huddled together in a senior citizens complex died from hypothermia and continuing health problems, it emerged tonight.

John “Little Elvis” Glennon and Debbie McEvoy were found dead in the Drumalee Court flat in Stoneybatter, Dublin, yesterday.

Dublin City Council owns the complex where 67-year-old Mr Glennon lived.

The pair, who were discovered huddled together on the bedroom floor of the property, are believed to have been dead for a number of days before they were found.

A postmortem ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning and revealed both had health problems when they died from hypothermia.

Temperatures in the city dropped to as low as minus 2.4C on Sunday morning.

Mr Glennon was originally from the midlands and had lived in the flat for about eight years. Ms Evoy, 63, was a former nurse from Newry, Co Down, who also lived in Dublin’s north inner city. The pair were well known and well liked in the locality.

In January 2010, mother-of-two Rachel Peavoy died of hypothermia alone in her council flat in Ballymun. An inquest returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Age Action has urged older people to take the necessary steps to protect themselves from the cold in the wake of the tragic deaths.

“The cold can kill and does kill in Ireland, and older people must make themselves aware of the practical steps which they can take to remain well and warm in their homes during cold weather,” Age Action spokesman Eamon Timmins said.

The older people’s charity extended its condolences to the family and friends of Mr Glennon and Ms McEvoy.

Age Action is urging communities to keep in regular contact with their older neighbours and friends to ensure they have enough fuel and supplies, especially on frosty days when it may be unsafe to go out.