Boy (2) caught in car window dies


A two-year-old boy has died at his Co Kerry home following an accident in which he became caught in a car window.

James Patrick Dunleavy was playing at the back of his house at Ballyfinnane, Fieries, shortly after he finished his lunch at around 1.45pm on Saturday. He decided to retrieve a toy from the family car.

It is believed the child stood on his toy tractor to get through the partially open driver's window of the car. The tractor appears to have slipped and the child's neck became entangled in the window.

His father, William, saw him suspended from the window and rushed to his aid. Emergency services were called and the child was taken to Kerry General Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Three people died as a result of separate road traffic accidents over the weekend, including two 16-year-olds.

Yesterday, a woman in her 50s was killed when the car in which she was a front-seat passenger struck a wall at Warrenstown, Johnstown, Co Kilkenny. The accident happened at 8am.

A 16-year-old boy died yesterday in Cavan General Hospital after a traffic collision in Co Longford on Saturday. The single-vehicle accident happened just after 5am at Drumlish.

Also in Co Longford, a 16-year-old girl was killed and six other people seriously injured in a two-car crash at Ballyminnion on Saturday. She was named yesterday as Sarah Murtagh (16) of Grian Ard, Longford. The accident happened on the main N5 at about 3.25am.

The Garda press office yesterday named two people who were killed in accidents on Friday.

A 21-year-old man who died in a single-vehicle road collision at Cloneymeath, Summerhill, Co Meath was named as David Healy from Straffan, Co Kildare.

An 82-year-old man who was killed when his car struck a horse in Co Carlow was Thomas Howell from Ballincoush, Dungarvan, Co Waterford. The accident happened at 10.45pm at Wells, Muinebheag.

Meanwhile, four people had a narrow escape early yesterday when the car in which they were travelling skidded off the road into a canal in Co Clare. The accident happened shortly before 6am in Killaloe.