Salt and pepper squid with gochujang aioli
Salt and pepper squid with gochujang aioli.
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 5 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: Fusion
- 4 squid tubes, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 30g rice flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp salt
- 2tsp black pepper
- 300ml vegetable oil for shallow frying, or use a deep fat fryer
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2tsp gochujang pepper paste (a sweet and spicy Korean condiment)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10ml cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 250ml olive oil
1. To make the aioli, add the yolks, vinegar, gochujang and garlic to a blender.
2. Blend on high for 30 seconds and then reduce speed to a medium to low speed.
3. Slowly and in a steady stream, pour the oil into the blender. The oil should slowly incorporate with the egg yolks and emulsify, creating a mayonnaise.
4. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
5. Now for the squid. In a deep frying pan or saucepan, add the vegetable oil and put on a high heat ready for frying.
6. Place all your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
7. Add the squid rings and coat in the dry mixture.
8. Place the coated squid in the hot oil, taking care as the oil could spatter. Fry for three to five minutes, until a light golden colour appears.
9. Remove the squid from the oil using a slotted spoon and place on a kitchen towel lined plate. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Serve immediately with the gochujang aioli.