Pork carnitas with pineapple and citrus
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 6 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Fusion
- 1kg pork shoulder – left whole
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 3 red chillies, thinly sliced
- Half a pineapple, peeled and diced
- 3 limes, juice and zest of
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 1 stick of cinnamon, broken into 3-4 pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 t sp ground cumin
- 200ml of cider (or two-thirds of a can of cola)
- Splash of sherry vinegar at the end, just before serving
The method for this is very simple, just put the pork in the slow cooker first and layer up with onions, garlic and pineapple, with the chilles and spices on top.
I use a slow cooker that has a high and low setting. You can either turn it to high for six hours, or use the the low setting and cook overnight
I have had great results leaving the lid off for the final hour, it tightens the sauce nicely.
Once it is cooked, take the meat out and shred it. Serve in taco shells or wrapped in flour or corn tortillas, with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream.