Philly cheese steaks sandwiches
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Serves 6
- 500g sirloin steak
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- Worcestershire sauce
- 350g mushrooms, sliced
- 180g Emmental or Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 baguette style bread rolls or hot dog rolls
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
Season the steaks with sea salt and black pepper. Rub with a little olive oil.
Heat a wide frying pan on high. Cook the steaks for three to four minutes on each side, depending on thickness. You need them to be medium rare and nicely coloured on the outside. Set aside on a plate to rest, covered with foil.
Add a splash of oil to the pan along with the onions, sauté for a few minutes before adding the peppers. Cook until the onions are nicely softened and the pepper still retains a little bite. Season with a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Place the onion mixture into a roasting tin. Fry the mushrooms in the hot pan till they are nicely coloured. Add them to the onion mix.
- Cold weather alert – this soup is like a warm smoothie
- Understanding food labels: why you should give a rashers about what you eat
- Cork goes on the sauce – with chilli and whiskey
- Your daily bread: four kinds of bread from one simple dough
- Breton brilliance: A touch of oh là là in a Dublin crêperie
- Simple Swiss roll: A recipe for an old favourite
- New London beers from under the bridge
- Come together: the best co-op wines
- In cooking, three really is the magic number
- Can you milk a pig? And would you eat their cheese?
Preheat the grill to high. Warm the bread rolls slightly in the oven. Thinly slice the steak and combine it with the onion and mushrooms. Layer the cheese slices over the top. Place the roasting tin under the hot grill and cook for five to ten minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Quickly scoop the mix into the warm bread rolls and serve with a little more Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup and mustard on the side.