One-pot chicken with cider
One-pot chicken with cider.
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 90 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1 x 1.6 kg chicken
- ½ turnip, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 1kg parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 small onions, peeled
- 100g broth mix (barley, split peas, lentils)
- 1 packet (125g) smoked bacon lardons
- Some fresh thyme and a bayleaf
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 250ml cider
- Salt and black pepper
1 Set your oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
2 Put the chicken in a large pot and place all the ingredients around the bird, then pour in the stock and cider.
3 Bring the stock to a gentle simmer, cover and put in the oven for one hour.
4 Remove the lid, turn up the heat to 185 degrees and cook for another 20 minutes.
5 Allow to cool a little before prising the chicken from the bone. Serve in deep bowls with mashed potato. It won’t be pretty, but it will be delicious.