Lamb chops with sweet and sour onions and raisins
Lamb chops with sweet and sour onions and raisins. Photograph: Nick Bradshaw
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1 x eight-bone rack of lamb, cut into chops.
- FOR THE ONION SAUCE:
- 50g butter
- 2 large onions , peeled and finely sliced
- A sprig of thyme
- 1tbs raisins
- 1tbs brown sugar
- 2tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
1. Cook the onions gently in the butter and thyme for about 15 minutes in a covered pot, making sure they don’t take on any colour. This will ensure a sweet, thyme-scented butteriness.
2. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and raisins.
3. Cook for another few minutes until thick and syrupy, season and set aside.
4. To cook your chops: set your barbecue to a high heat, then turn down a little.
5. Season the chops well and place them on the barbecue.
6. Do not move them for five minutes, then turn them over.
7. After another three minutes try and balance the chops on their fatty side to get the fat crisp. They won’t take much longer, depending how you like them.
8. Turn off the barbecue and allow them to rest for a few minutes in the coolest spot.
9. Warm the onions and serve the chops on top along of them along with your two lovely salads.