Gary O’Hanlon’s Irish lamb loin, baba ganoush, coriander, caper, red onion & lemon salad
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serves 66x 200g centre cut lamb loin portions
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 6 caraway seeds
- Quarter tsp cinnamon powder
- Quarter nutmeg stone, grated
- 2 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- Drizzle olive oil, for searing
- Fine sea salt to season
- Baba ghanoush:2 medium aubergines
- 1tbsp tahini
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half clove garlic
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salad:3 x 200g packets of fresh coriander , leaves picked and washed
- 3tbsp capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches fine sea salt
- 2 pinches ground white pepper
- Half a red onion (thinly sliced and soaked in a mixture of 50ml white wine vinegar with 2tsp caster sugar for 20 minutes)
Jab a fork all over the aubergines and place them on an open gas flame (alternatively place under a grill, turning every five to six minutes). Cook until they are completely charred.
While the aubergines are charring, add the cumin, star anise, caraway and cardamom to a pan and dry roast, tossing every 30 seconds, until it is smoking. For the final 30 seconds, add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Place this in a mortar and pestle and grind to a powder.
Season the lamb and roll it in the spices. Heat the oil in a frying pan and when the oil is smoking, sear the lamb all over to completely seal it.
Place the lamb in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for four to seven minutes (with four extra minutes for medium-well/well done).
While the lamb is cooking, scoop out the flesh of the aubergine into a food processor discarding most, but not all, of the seeds. Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini and olive oil and blend until you’ve got a thick, smooth textured baba ghanoush.
Remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for three minutes, then slice it thinly.
For the salad, mix everything together in a bowl and divide between the six plates. Serve with the baba ganoush and the lamb.