Durrus & crab rarebit
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: Seafood
- 300g Durrus cheese, grated (alternatively use a good, strong cheddar)
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestersire sauce or mushroom ketchup
- 35g plain flour
- 1tsp mustard, heaped
- 100ml Galway Hooker or similar beer
- 200g freshly picked crab
- 4 egg yolks
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted both sides
Preheat the grill to high.
Put the cheese, butter, mushroom ketchup, flour, mustard, salt and pepper into a heavy bottomed saucepan. This burns very quickly so don’t walk away from it. Heat gently until the cheese is melted, and the sauce is bubbling and smooth.
Mix well with a whisk and add the beer.
Add your crab and egg yolks and take off the heat.
Spread the mixture on the toasted sourdough and place under the hot grill for 1-2 minutes or until golden-brown and bubbling.
To serve, place the crab rarebit on a serving board with gherkins and a nice pint of stout.