Beef and Bok Choy Stir-Fry by Paula Mee
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 500g lean stir-fry beef, such as sirloin, thinly sliced
- Half a red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused rapeseed oil
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- pinch of asafoetida powder
- 134g/2 medium carrots, thinly sliced lengthways
- 200g bok choy, sliced
- 160g/1 red pepper, sliced
- 15g/3 spring onions (green part only), chopped
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soya sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 200g rice noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
Put the beef in a bowl with the chilli (if using), oyster sauce, sesame oil and half of the lime juice (this can be done in advance for extra marinating time).
Heat the garlic-infused oil in a wok set over a high heat. Add the ginger and asafoetida powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrots and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the bok choy and red pepper and cook for 1 minute, followed by the spring onions and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Add the soya sauce and a pinch of black pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
Cook the noodles as per the packet instructions, then drain.
In a separate dry pan, toast the sesame seeds over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until the seeds turn brown (don’t add any oil to the seeds!). The slower the cooking, the nuttier the flavour! Tip out into a bowl or plate.
Add the teaspoon of rapeseed oil to the wok and return to a high heat. Add the beef mix and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the beef turns pink, or as per your liking. Add the rest of the lime juice to the beef and swirl it around in the wok for 1 minute before adding the fresh basil. Stir in the cooked vegetables and noodles and toss to combine.
Serve the stir-fry sprinkled with the toasted sesame seeds and lime wedges on the side
Portion size: 340g Kcals: 475 Fat: 14.3g Saturated fat: 3.5g Carbs: 44g Sugar: 5.7g Fibre: 7.4g Protein: 39g Salt: 2.6g