Weekly Movie Quiz
1What began with a Black Pearl and ended on Stranger Tides?
2What swinging role is Andrew Garfield about to take over from Tobey Maguire?
3 Name the Stanley Kubrick film (below).
4 Who comes after De Palma, Woo and Abrams?
5 Whose directing career proper began in Ireland with Dementia 13?
6 What links Tchaikovsky, Liszt, Mahler and Valentino?
7 Mourning a reverie. A water feature. Hulk Hogan, for example. Cygnus atratus. Whose last four?
8 Which director has had more films than any other in the official competition at the Cannes Film Festival?
9 Why might a famous film reference work make you think of a breakthrough role for Alfred Molina?
10 What links Star Trek VI with Laurence Olivier’s only Oscar-winning performance and a recent project starring Steve Coogan?
1. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Barry Lyndon
4. Brad Bird (directors of1. Pirates of the Caribbean5. Francis Ford Coppola
6. All were the subject of biopics by Ken Russell
7. Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan)
8. Ken Loach (11 – 10 nominations and one win, for The Wind That Shakes the Barley)
9. Halliwell’s Film Guide reminds one of Kenneth Halliwell, played by Molina in Prick Up Your Ears.
10. Hamlet. The subtitle of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, is taken from the play. Olivier won the best actor Oscar for Hamlet. Coogan starred in Hamlet 2.
the Mission: Impossible films)