Eight food businesses shut down in June for safety violations
Dublin cash and carry to pay almost €6,000 for breaching food hygiene regulation
Pearl River take away in Phibsborough, Dublin 7 which was issued a closure order last month. Photograph: Google street view
Eight businesses were served with closure orders last month for violations of food safety regulations.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) serves such orders when inspectors deem there to be a grave and immediate danger to public health at a premises.
Bimdoc Cash and Carry on Jamestown Road in Finglas, Dublin 11 was convicted on six counts and ordered to pay € 5,560. This included a fine of €1,000 and costs of € 4,560 awarded to the Health Service Executive (HSE) which prosecuted the case under hygiene of foodstuffs regulations.
In addition, a prohibition order was issued to Cumiskey’s public house on Blackhorse Avenue in Dublin.
This order is issued if the activities, such as handling and preparation of food, or the condition of the premises could pose a risk to public health.
Six of the orders have since been lifted. May saw the highest monthly number of closures so far this year with a total of 14. In total, 45 closure orders have been issued this year.
Dr Pamela Byrne, chief executive of the FSAI, said the violations had “serious negative implications” for the premises and the wider food industry.
“There can be no justification for these breaches, which can endanger consumers’ health and undermine the confidence they should expect to have in the safety of the food they eat,” she said.
Full list of businesses that were served closure orders:
1. Shanghai House restaurant, 13 Upper Cork Street, Mitchelstown, Co Cork
2. Mr Wong take away, 81 Main Street, Co Cavan
3. D Limit African & European restaurant, 61A Ballybough Road, Dublin 3
4. Posh Nosh take away, 1 Millstream, Moorehall, Ardee, Co Louth (two closure orders)
5. “Fish & Chips” catering trailer (chip van), Main Street, Roundfort, Hollymount, Co Mayo
6. Pearl River take away, 62 Phibsborough Road, Phibsborough, Dublin 7
7. Hotel Curracloe (activity closed: all food preparation and service activities in and from the kitchen and ancillary areas), Curracloe, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford