Round-up: Dundalk go third with three second-half goals

Boyd rises to occasion to sink Drogheda; Students earn elusive first win of the season

Dundalk 3 Bohemians 1

Dundalk came from behind to see off Bohemians at Oriel Park on Friday night to move back into third place in the league table.

The Louth men found themselves behind for the first time at home all season when they fell asleep from a short corner routine on the quarter hour mark, which saw Conor Levingston's scuffed effort fall to Ciaran Kelly for a tap-in. Stephen O'Donnell's side were always on top, however, with James Talbot making two superb saves from Robbie Benson and Daniel Kelly to ensure the visitors remained in front at the break.

Dundalk deservedly levelled four minutes after the restart.

Benson teed up Hoban for a shot which flashed past Talbot for his 15th career goal against Bohs. Keith Ward, a veteran of 187 matches across two spells at Bohs, then came on to change the game.


It was his exquisite pass to split the visitors defence which released Kelly on 71 minutes, with the winger unselfishly laying off for Benson to tap-in.

Dundalk then made sure of the result on 79 minutes when substitute Paul Doyle hammered in a third with a 25 yard strike that took a wicked deflected off Kelly.

DUNDALK: Shepperd; Macari, Bone, Connolly, Leahy; Sloggett, Benson; Bradley (Ward 67), Adams (Doyle 68), Kelly (Martin 93); Hoban (McMillan 82).

BOHEMIANS: Talbot; Packham, Doherty, Kelly, Wilson; Devoy, Levingston (Flores 81); Burt (Twardek 72), Coote (Mullins 87), Omochere (Cassidy 81); Junior.

Referee: Sean Grant (Wexford).

Shelbourne 1 Drogheda 0

Sean Boyd hit the winner for the second week running as Shelbourne chalked up their first back-to-back victories of the season.

While the Drumcondra side consolidate in mid-table, the only consolation after a fourth successive defeat for Drogheda is that they remain three points ahead of second-bottom Finn Harps.

Despite plenty of endeavour from both sides, a dour first half was devoid of any telling goalmouth action as Shelbourne manager Damien Duff watched from the stands, serving the second of a three-match suspension.

Drogheda's only threat before the break stemmed from a Dayle Rooney corner on the half hour. Keith Cowen headed the ball back across goal to Sean Roughan, whose shot scarcely troubled goalkeeper Brendan Clarke.

With far more impetus to their game, Shelbourne finally sparked the game to life with what proved the game’s only goal six minutes after the interval. The impressive Shane Farrell’s perfectly weighted ball picked out Boyd, who scored with a well-placed downward header for his fifth goal of the season.

Sam Long prevented Shelbourne extending their lead on 65 minutes with a fine save one-on-one from Conor Kane, who bore down on goal from Moylan's through ball.

SHELBOURNE: Clarke; O'Driscoll, Byrne, Griffin; Wilson, Lunney, Dervin, Kane; Moylan (Anaebonam 90), Farrell (Ledwidge, 84); Boyd

DROGHEDA UNITED: Long; Quinn, Cowan, Roughan, Massey (Brennan, 60); Rooney, Deegan, Clarke, Weir (Poynton, 66); Nugent (Grimes, 66); Williams (Lyons, 62).

Referee: Rob Hennessy (Clare).

Finn Harps 0 UCD 1

UCD notched their first win of the campaign with a late Liam Kerrigan goal against Finn Harps in Ballybofey.

Kerrigan headed home an Evan Caffrey cross in the 83rd minute to stun Finn Park.

In a first half of few chances, the visitors had a scare on 15 minutes when Eric Yoyo's header back to goalkeeper Kian Moore fell short and Filip Mihaljevic was looking to capitalise but the UCD custodian was out quickly enough to clear from the edge of the box.

Liam Kerrigan had a chance for UCD but Mark Anthony McGinley was smartly off his line to intervene.

Just before half-time Harps’ Barry McNamee had a thumping shot deflected wide and from the resulting corner Rob Slevin’s header was cleared off the line.

UCD were dealt a major blow in the 56th minute when Ireland Under-21 international Colm Whelan had to be replaced following a lengthy injury stoppage.

Harps began to get on top after the hour mark with substitute Eric McWoods adding some zest to their attacking raids and McNamee linking well with him and Mihaljevic.

But Kerrigan's goal came out of nothing and despite their best efforts – including late chances for Ryan Rainey, Eric McWoods and Luke Rudden – Harps were unable to avoid another home defeat.

FINN HARPS: McGinley; Carrillo, Boyle, Tourish, Slevin; Rainey, Devers (Woods, 65 mins), McNamee (Rudden, 84 mins), Rainey, Donelon (Connolly, 73 mins); Mihaljevic, Mahdy (Héry, h-t).

UCD: Moore; Gallagher, Yoyo, Todd, Osam; Dignam (Duffy, 68 mins), Keane, Keaney, Kerrigan; Whelan (Nolan, 61 mins), Caffrey.

Referee: P McLaughlin (Monaghan).