Controlled explosion carried out in Old Trafford after match abandoned

Authorities began evacuating the ground when a suspect package was found

Authorities have evacuated football fans from Old Trafford this afternoon following the discovery of a suspicious package. Manchester United were due to play Bournemouth in the Premier League. Video: REUTERS

 

A controlled explosion was carried out by bomb disposal experts at Old Trafford an hour after Manchester United’s final Premier League match of the season was abandoned.

A suspect package was found at the stadium before kickoff, prompting the evacuation of the ground. Supporters in the north and west stands were told to leave before the scheduled 3pm kickoff against Bournemouth and a short time later, fans in the remaining two stands were also evacuated.

A source at the stadium said that the device included a mobile phone, which was attached to a pipe. It was believed to have been found in a set of toilets in the ground’s north-west corner.

Greater Manchester police confirmed a controlled explosion was conducted within the stadium and stewards were seen filing back into the ground shortly before 5pm.

The game against Bournemouth, which was to be their final outing of the 2015-16 season, was originally delayed for 45 minutes before the club announced it had been abandoned.

In initial announcements heard in the stand, the club described the incident as an “operation code red”, later confirming a suspect package had been discovered. A source said UK anti-terror officials were monitoring the situation.

The alert message was sparked 20 minutes before the game was due to start. The decision to evacuate the entire stadium was made after an emergency meeting in the police control room involving the commanding officers and various club executives.

The police told United it would take several hours to check that the package was not explosive. Bomb disposal officers arrived on the scene shortly after the evacuation, and completed a controlled explosion of the device shortly before 5pm.

John O’Hare, the assistant chief constable, said: “We are doing everything we can to investigate this item as quickly as possible, however, our priority is obviously to ensure the safety of everyone in the stadium and surrounding area. As a result, today’s game has been abandoned and a controlled evacuation of the stadium has now taken place.

“We are awaiting the imminent arrival of military colleagues to come and support us and establish what exactly we are dealing with.

“We don’t make these decisions lightly and we have done this today to ensure the safety of all those attending. I am thankful for everyone’s support and assistance and we will continue to provide updates on this matter as soon as they become available.”

A Premier League statement said: “The decision to abandon the Manchester United versus AFC Bournemouth match was taken after the police advised of the necessity to deal with a suspect package.

“When it comes to matters of security it is obviously right that Manchester United and the Premier League place the safety of supporters and employees foremost.

“The Premier League will seek to rearrange the fixture as soon as practically possible and will advise fans accordingly. It is always the last resort to abandon one of our fixtures and while we apologise for the inconvenience caused to fans we are sure, in the circumstances, they will appreciate the need to do so.”

Security personnel were supervising fans as they left the stadium, with the crowd of thousands told to move a safe distance from the complex.

Ed Woodward, United’s executive vice-chairman, immediately went into a meeting with the club secretary, John Alexander, and the Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, to discuss the complicated issue of when the game can be rearranged.

United’s involvement in the FA Cup final against Crystal Palace next Saturday clouds the issue and, with policing and stewarding issues also to be resolved, there is no easy solution for playing the fixture again. The two sets of players were called off the pitch during their warm-up at 2.43pm.

Many fans never managed to get into the stadium at all, and diverted instead to the beer garden at the Tollgate pub by Trafford Bar tram stop.

Pub landlord Steve Kerr was trying to look on the bright side. “The sun’s shining, everybody is in good spirits. But we’ve not really been happy all season but this puts the final nail in the coffin,” he said.

“It sums up our season, that. Just fizzling out – something and nothing,” said Matt Crew, who had come up for the match from Leek in Staffordshire.

His father, Dave, said there was no trouble. “People were just singing and chanting as usual. You can’t blame the club really. They’re caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. If anything goes wrong they’ll be the ones criticised. Security is the most important thing these days.”

Richard Stockwell, a dentist, had come from Oxford for the match but was sanguine about not seeing any football. “It’s just one of those things. I’d already decided I wasn’t going back in once we had been told to leave the Sir Alex Ferguson stand, before I heard the match was cancelled.

“The security worked really well. I’ve been in similar situations years ago when we’ve had to get out of places quickly and it was a mess. This was very well organised.”

Others outside the pub were speculating over who might have left the suspect package. A consensus emerged as word reached the picnic tables that the club’s biggest rivals were one nil up against Swansea after five minutes of play: “It was definitely a City fan.”

(Guardian service)

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.