Copeland’s Munster debut may have to wait after passport stolen
Number eight trying to source a replacement ahead of Treviso after car was broken into
Munster number eight Robin Copelan. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho
Efforts are being made today to get a replacement passport after it was taken along with playing gear when his car was broken into.
Copeland, who sat out last week’s season opener against Edinburgh with a rib injury, was due to travel with the squad to Italy early tomorrow morning for to Friday’s game against Treviso, but his car was broken into on Tuesday night.
Copeland, who joined Munster this summer from Cardiff Blues, today tweeted of his bad luck saying: “Having your passport stolen along with all your kit, boots and other belongings the day before your about to travel is not fun!”
Copeland reported to training at UL this morning, ahead of visiting the passport office in Dublin.
A Munster spokesperson said they were doing their best to find replacement documents for Copeland, but the short window before their departure meant they were unsure if he would be ready to travel with the squad.
“We are in the process of trying to secure a new passport for Robin, but we don’t know if we’ll be able to get one in time,” said the Munster spokesperson.
Copeland has played one game for Munster, a pre-season against London Irish, where he impressed but picked up an injury that forced him to miss the opening round loss to Edinburgh.
His passport difficulty is the latest in a series of early season setbacks for Munster, which include the leaking of a confidential memo by management to the players, the shock home defeat and the news last night that marquee signing Tyler Bleyendaal might be out for the season through injury.
The New Zealander is scheduled to have surgery on a prolapsed disc in his neck.