‘Slim to no chance’ of Nick Kyrgios playing in French Open due to Covid-19 fears

Australian has already announced his withdrawal from this month’s US Open

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios said on Thursday he is unlikely to play at the French Open. Photograph: Pedro Pardo/Getty/AFP

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios said on Thursday he is unlikely to play at the French Open. Photograph: Pedro Pardo/Getty/AFP

 

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios said on Thursday he is unlikely to play at the French Open due to concerns about Covid-19.

Kyrgios, who on Sunday announced his withdrawal from the US Open, told Australian television he planned to wait until it was safer to return to the tour.

“It’s a very slim chance I’ll play in Europe. Almost slim to none, to be honest,” the 25-year-old told Channel Nine.

“I’m going to use this (time) to stay home, train, be with my family, be with my friends and I’m just going to act responsibly, and wait till I think there’s better circumstances to play.”

Kyrgios is no fan of clay or the French Open, which has been postponed from its usual May-June dates to a September start due to the pandemic.

Last year, he said the French Open “sucks” before pulling out of the tournament, citing sickness.

The August 13th-September 13th US Open, which will be played without spectators, has been hit with a number of high-profile withdrawals including Australian women’s world number one Ash Barty and men’s world number two Rafa Nadal.

Canberra-based Kyrgios said it was an easy decision to pull out of the Grand Slam in New York.

“But even with the (Black Lives Matter) movement and the whole protests and that type of stuff going on over there, I just don’t think at the moment it’s the correct time to go ahead with sport, in my opinion,” he said.

A fresh outbreak of Covid-19 in Melbourne has raised questions about whether the Australian Open can be held in January, with the city undergoing a second lockdown.

Organisers are planning for it to go ahead, without fans if necessary, but Kyrgios was unconvinced.

“With the pandemic in Melbourne, I heard on the radio today I think 700 new cases, we reached new heights in deaths,” he said.

“I’m not sure the Australian Open will go on.”

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.