Middlesbrough survive at Selhurst


Wimbledon and Middlesbrough will have to replay their delayed third-round FA Cup tie to determine which of the sides will meet Manchester United.

With a home tie against the Premiership champions for the winners, former Old Trafford assistant Steve McClaren saw his Middlesbrough side outplayed by a hungrier team at Selhurst Park.

The First Division side, conquerors of Middlesbrough in both cup competitions last season, came within inches of scoring against the Premiership strugglers but Kevin Cooper's shot came back off the woodwork in the 28th minute.

Earlier, Republic of Ireland striker David Connolly should have done better after Cooper's block on a Gianluca Festa clearance allowed him a run on goal, but in delaying his shot the forward allowed Gareth Southgate to deflect the ball to safety.

Wimbledon believed they should have had a penalty when Jason Gavin appeared to manhandle Neil Shipperley.

Shipperley then inexplicably volleyed too high from six yards as Neal Ardley's centre from the right cleared the visitors' backline and found him unmarked at the back post.

Middlesbrough almost stole the game in the closing minutes, but Festa thudded a close-range volley off the underside of the bar and Dean Windass shot into the visiting fans.

Tranmere booked a home tie against Leeds' conquerors Cardiff in the fourth round following their deserved triumph over Third Division opponents Southend.

But they had to wait until the 63rd minute before breaking the deadlock, Wayne Allison scoring with a close-range header.

Ten minutes later Jason Price stretched Tranmere's lead after being put through by Jason Koumas.

Barrington Belgrave gave Southend some hope with a low drive in the 76th minute, but it wasn't long before the visitors restored their two-goal lead, Sean Flynn scoring with a shot from the edge of the box after he had been set up by Price.

Walsall earned a trip to meet Charlton at The Valley following a comfortable win over First Division rivals Bradford at Bescot Stadium.

The home side dominated the first half but had to wait until the 47th minute to register their superiority. Bradford failed to clear a long throw-in from Zigor Aranalde and home skipper Tom Bennett chested the ball down before clipping a neat shot over the keeper.

It was all over in the 56th minute, Darren Wrack crossing into the goalmouth where veteran striker Brett Angell, who is still on the transfer list, dived to head his fourth goal of the season.