Gallagher at Ludlow


Dean Gallagher reckoned yesterday that "nothing new" emerged in Tuesday's renewed questioning by police investigating doping and race-fixing allegations.

He is "very disappointed" at being rebailed, so that the inquiry which has racing in thrall for eight months will drag on again until at least next January.

But he pledged to carry on riding as normal, resuming at Ludlow today, and has already received messages of support.

The jump jockey, who has ridden three winners to date during the current jumps season, partners Follow de Call for Ginger McCain and Legal Artist for Clair Johnsey at Ludlow.

Gallagher, who denies any wrongdoing, arrived at Charing Cross police station at 11.08 a.m. on Tuesday to answer bail and did not leave until 8.40 p.m.

It was then announced that he, along with six other men, had been bailed again to January 6th, pending reports submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service.

"It was a very long day yesterday," the Kildare man said yesterday morning.

"I was only interviewed for 28 minutes - the rest of the time I was hanging around waiting - and there was nothing new.

"I was very disappointed with the outcome. I had hoped everything would be finalised yesterday but I was wrong and they extended my bail again to January 6th."

Osborne Nears Race-Riding Return

By PA Sport Staff

"I'm riding out for a lot of people at the moment, more for my benefit than their's but I'm just putting myself about," he added.

Gym work, not Osborne's favourite pastime, has also played a part in preparing the jockey for his return.

"I will be fully fit by the time I come back. I've got to go and see Dr Turner in three weeks.

"His criteria for passing me fit is that I'm neither a danger to myself nor anybody else on the racecourse.

"I've proved I'm a danger to myself but I don't think I'll be a danger to anyone else," he laughed.

There was better news for Jamie Osborne, who had been arrested with Gallagher but who on Monday was released from police bail.

He is now set to return to race-riding within three weeks providing he gets clearance from Jockey Club medical officer Dr Michael Turner.

Osborne, told viewers of The Racing Channel that he was looking forward to returning from a serious wrist injury suffered in a fall from Space Trucker last November.

"My hand is fine, I had my last treatment in August and I've been trying to get myself fit since then and my hand a bit stronger," said Osborne.

"I do intend that when I am back on the course, hopefully within three weeks, I will be as fit as I've ever been and my hand won't be a hindrance to me."

Osborne spoke after riding the grey Senor El Betrutti in a racecourse gallop at Towcester.