Cora Staunton wins a 10th All Star as Briege Corkery picks Player of the Year award
Women’s football All Star awards dominated by All-Ireland champions Cork
Mayo’s Cora Staunton has now got 10 All Stars to her name. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho
Briege Corkery earned her ninth All Star Award and collected her second Player’s Player of the Year award on a night when the legendary Cora Staunton joined Mary Jo Curran as the only players ever to win 10 All Star Awards.
All Ireland champions, Cork were the big winners with six representatives on the All Stars selection. 19 year old Marie Ambrose earned her first all star along with multi award winners Geraldine O’Flynn, Vera Foley, Rena Buckley and Valerie Mulcahy. Corkery became the first player to win the Player of the Year award for the second time.
Beaten All Ireland finalists, Dublin, were also well represented with four award winners including Sinead Finnegan and four time All Star Sinead Goldrick in the half back line with Carla Rowe earning her first All Star at wing forward and Dublin captain, Lyndsey Davey, claiming her third All Star at full forward.
Monaghan’s Linda Martin won her first All Star as goalkeeper in the selection and is joined by Donaghmoyne team mate Cora Courtney who collected her third. Mayo legend Cora Staunton was Mayo’s sole All Star making it an incredible 10 awards for her, while Munster champions, Kerry are represented by full back Aislinn Desmond and Armagh’s rising star Aimee Mackin at corner forward.
Waterford’s brilliant young forward, Aileen Wall, was selected as the Intermediate Player’s Player of the Year whilst Louth’s goal machine, Kate Flood, was selected as the 2015 Junior Player’s Player of the Year on a night when Cavan’s Abby Brady entered the LGFA Hall of Fame.
2015 TG4 All Star Selection
1. Linda Martin (Monaghan) 1st All Star
2. Marie Ambrose (Cork) 1st All Star
3. Aislinn Desmond (Kerry) 1st All Star
4. Geraldine O’Flynn (Cork) 6th All Star (2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
5. Vera Foley (Cork) 2nd All Star (2014, 2015)
6. Sinead Finnegan (Dublin) 1st All Star
7. Sinead Goldrick (Dublin) 4th All Star (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
8. Rena Buckley (Cork) 5th All Star (2004, 2006, 2007, 2012)
9. Briege Corkery (Cork) 9th All Star (2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
10. Cora Courtney (Monaghan) 3rd All Star (2013, 2014, 2015)
11. Cora Staunton (Mayo) 10th All Star (2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015)
12. Carla Rowe (Dublin) 1st All Star
13. Valerie Mulcahy (Cork) 6th All Star (2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2015)
14. Lyndsey Davey (Dublin) 3rd All Star (2005, 2014, 2015)
15. Aimee Mackin (Armagh) 1st All Star