Bohemians fail to close the gap on Shelbourne


Bohemians missed a chance to close the gap on leaders Shelbourne when they failed to beat Derry City for the second time this season.

Last September at the Brandywell a Liam Coyle goal was enough to give Derry the three points, and although Bohemians gained a point yesterday they will be disappointed at losing further ground at the top of the table.

Bohemians got the perfect start with an early goal, but couldn't hold on to it. And despite piling on the pressure in the closing stages they were unable to add the second, which would have sealed the points and are now third in the table behind Longford.

And the frustrations of the Bohemians staff was in evidence as just before the final whistle, manager Roddy Collins was banished from the dugout after a clash of words with the assistant referee.

Bohemians took the lead inside the first quarter of an hour when Simon Webb delivered a perfect cross deep to the far post for Glen Crowe who cushioned his header down to the unmarked Darren O'Keeffe to blast home his first goal of the season.

It could have been 2-0 midway through the half when the quick thinking of Kevin Hunt freed Crowe, but City goalkeeper Russell Payne smothered his shot.

Then in the final minute of the half, Bohemians found themselves at sixes and sevens, which was to ultimately cost them all three points. The home side had already survived when Sean Hargan got in behind only for his effort to be booted clear to safety.

But almost straight away, the Bohemians rearguard was absent as Hargan's throw-in was flicked on by Gary Beckett for Eamon Doherty who came charging in to blast past Wayne Russell for the equaliser.

Hargan was in the thick of it again, just seven minutes after the restart, but this time Russell palmed his effort away to safety. Although Derry enjoyed periods of domination it was the home side who finished in a flurry. But all to no avail in the end.

Bohemians: Russell; O'Connor, Maher, Hunt, Webb; Caffrey, O'Keeffe, Bowman, Hopper; Molloy, Crowe. Subs: Williamson for O'Keeffe (60 mins), Hill for Hopper (78 mins).

Derry City: Payne; McCallion, Hutton, Hargan, Harkin; McCready, Hegarty, McLaughlin, Doherty; Coyle, Beckett. Subs: Gallagher for Beckett (78 mins), McIvor for Coyle (88 mins).

Referee: Aidan O'Regan (Cork).