BBC to hold separate investigation into abuse carried out by Stuart Hall

Broadcaster had admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls

Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall (left), leaves Preston Crown Court after it was announced he has admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls, the youngest aged nine. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall (left), leaves Preston Crown Court after it was announced he has admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls, the youngest aged nine. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

 

The BBC is to hold a separate investigation into abuse carried out by the broadcaster Stuart Hall while working at the corporation, it has said, a day after rejecting the idea.

On Sunday the chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten, said the activities of Hall, who has admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls during the 60s, 70s and 80s, would be examined as part of an existing review by Dame Janet Smith into abuse carried out by another BBC broadcaster, Jimmy Savile.

Speaking on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show , Patten said: “I think to set up a new inquiry, when there is already one which is extremely well resourced operating, would probably delay arriving at the truth.”


Freestanding inquiry
However, a brief statement from the corporation yesterday said this decision had been changed: “In light of a potential conflict of interest with Dame Janet Smith there will be a freestanding investigation covering Stuart Hall’s conduct at the BBC which will feed into her review. This work will be led by a different individual appointed by the BBC.” It did not say who would lead this investigation.

– (Guardian service)