Postmortem on victim of alleged road rage attack
A POSTMORTEM examination is to be carried out today on the body of a man who died from injuries sustained in an alleged road rage attack in Dublin 4.
Raymond Bates (49), from Durham in England, was beaten on the head a number of times with a hurley during a dispute with another motorist in Sandymount village at about 7.30pm on Sunday.
The incident occurred at the at the junction of Tritonville Road, Sandymount Road and Newbridge Avenue.
The cause of the row is still being investigated but gardaí believe a man got out of his vehicle and attacked Mr Bates before driving off. They have since learned of his identity and he has been traced.
Mr Bates, who was a contract pipe-layer and had been living in the Sandymount area for a number of months, also drove away following the row.
He returned to his home before later presenting himself at St Vincent’s hospital feeling unwell. He was transferred to Beaumont Hospital where he fell into a coma and died at about 7pm on Thursday.
A Garda spokesman said detectives from Irishtown Garda station were following a definite line of inquiry and have interviewed a number of witnesses.
Door-to-door inquiries have been carried out in the area and a forensic examination of the site of the assault was conducted by the Garda Technical Bureau.
No arrests have yet been made in connection with the incident but the spokesman said the investigation was progressing and that detectives were awaiting the results of the postmortem exam.
It is believed to be the first fatal case of road rage in the State.
Gardaí believe a No. 2 Dublin Bus was in the vicinity of the cars when the assault happened in Sandymount on Sunday evening.
They have appealed to passengers travelling on that bus or anyone who may have been in the area at the time to contact Irishtown Garda Station on (01) 6669600.