Taoiseach Micheál Martin the scenes of disorder in London on the day of the Euro 2020 final "doesn't help" a possible joint bid between Ireland and UK to host World Cup 2030.
Footage emerged of fans without tickets breaking through barriers to get into Wembley for Sunday's final where England lost to Italy after a penalty shoot-out.
Earlier this year it was confirmed that work was being carried out on a possible joint bid to host the World Cup in Britain and Ireland in nine years time.
British prime minister Boris Johnson announced the planned bid in a newspaper interview.
The Government here said it is assessing the viability of a bid and looked forward to “further extensive engagement and collaboration” on refining the hosting proposals.
At a press conference today Mr Martin was asked about the scenes of disorder that occurred at the weekend and whether it would impact a World Cup bid.
He said it is “early days yet” on such a bid but added: “Obviously the sporting authorities take those matters very seriously.
“It doesn’t help in terms of bidding for events into the future because crowd control and the organisation around that is a key issue.”
Mr Martin also said “let’s be fair all round” adding: “The London Olympics was a superb organising achievement.”
He said on that occasion the UK “demonstrated its capacity to host in an excellent way a world class sporting event.”