Murder inquiry to follow postmortem


GARDAÍ ARE expected to begin a murder inquiry today following the completion of a postmortem examination on the body of a man found in a bog in north Kerry yesterday.

The body of the Brazilian national was found by gardaí at about 2pm during a planned search of Shronowen Bog at Tullamore some five miles north of Listowel and west of Ballylongford.

Gardaí have yet to formally identify the body, which remained at the scene overnight, but it’s believed to be that of 28-year-old Bruno Limes de Souza Silva who has been missing from his home in Gort, Co Galway, since February 16th last.

Gardaí, under Supt Mick Fitzpatrick of Listowel Garda station, were yesterday evening awaiting a team from the Garda Technical Bureau in Dublin to arrive to carry out a preliminary examination of the body at the scene.

Gardaí also notified the State Pathologist’s office and Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster is expected to carry out a postmortem on the deceased at Kerry General Hospital in Tralee today.

Although gardaí were remaining tight-lipped about the discovery of the body, it’s understood he had suffered head injuries, though it was unclear whether he had been beaten or stabbed or both.

Gardaí believe Mr de Souza Silva was assaulted elsewhere and his body brought to the bog and dumped there.

Gardaí yesterday arrested a 24-year-old Brazilian and a 19-year-old Irishman at a house in Ballyduff in Co Kerry for questioning about the death of Mr de Souza Silva.

Both men were arrested under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, which allows gardaí detain suspects for up to 24 hours, with one man being held at Listowel Garda station and the other at Tralee Garda station.

It’s understood gardaí were acting on intelligence received by gardaí in Clonmel, Co Tipperary, after an officer there was contacted by somebody with information regarding Mr de Souza Silva’s disappearance.

Gardaí believe Mr de Souza Silva left his home in Gort to go to Kerry to buy a car and they are investigating whether he may have become involved in some dispute over the car which may have led to his death.

It’s understood that Mr de Souza Silva’s body was found in a hole in the bog not far from a track across the bog and gardaí believe his body may have been covered but had become exposed by the elements.

Both the bog site and the house in Ballyduff, which is some eight miles away, were sealed off yesterday afternoon by local officers for forensic examination by Garda technical experts.

Gardaí also sealed off an area near Ferry Bridge in Ballyduff and are searching the river there for possible implements or weapons used in the fatal assault, while they are also searching two other areas in Ballyduff.

Gardaí have also seized a car in Ballyduff which will be examined today by Garda technical experts to see if it was used to transport Mr de Souza Silva from where gardaí believe he was assaulted to the bog.