Missing baby boy found in Wolverhampton


British police said today they had

found a baby boy who went missing when the caravan he was sleeping in was stolen.

Four-week-old John Connors, who disappeared from an Irish travellers' site in Nottinghamshire, was found at his great-grandmother's house in Wolverhampton.

"We can confirm that baby John has been found alive and well at an address in Wolverhampton," a spokesman for Nottinghamshire police said.

"We're establishing the circumstances of his disappearance and how he got there," the spokesman said.

Police were questioning three men found with the caravan, which had been parked in a lay-by in Cheshire.

Motorists reported seeing the vehicle in response to a nationwide alert issued by police searching for John after he was reported missing by his parents at 4.25 a.m.

Superintendent Stuart Wright told reporters that items of baby clothing had been found in the caravan.

John's mother, Bridget Flynn, said she had briefly left him on his own in the caravan at a traveller's site near Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, and was horrified to find it stolen when she returned.

The child's grandmother, Nellie Connors, said her son, Michael Connors, had been at her caravan at the time.

John's disappearance came a day after a baby girl was snatched from a maternity cot at the Wordsley hospital in Stourbridge in the West Midlands. An 18-year old woman appeared in court today charged with kidnapping the girl.

The baby was taken to Wednesfield police station where officers said he would be reunited with his parents.

Police later said the baby was in the care of social services and would not be reunited with his parents at Wednesfield Police Station.

Inspector Paul Affron said: "He is with us, safe and well with a member of the family and with police officers.

"My understanding at this stage is that the parents will not be coming here to be reunited with the baby.

"The only dealings that we have had are with the mother. We don't know where the father is."