Teenager dies after she becomes ill at debs in Co Galway
Jessica Moore was due to get her Leaving Certificate results on Tuesday
Jessica Moore was attending the event at a hotel in Ballinasloe. An ambulance was called after she felt unwell and she was taken to Portiuncula Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
Parents of 19-year-old Jessica Moore have said they are experiencing “inexpressable grief”following their daughter’s death after she became ill at a debs in Co Galway.
The teenager from Loughrea was attending the event at a hotel in Ballinasloe. An ambulance was called after she felt unwell and she was taken to Portiuncula Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
Gardaí have said they are investigating the 19-year-old’s sudden death.
While a post mortem has been carried out on the deceased’s remains, the precise cause of death has yet to be determined.
Gardaí are awaiting the results of toxicology tests, which can taken several weeks, in a bid to determine if Ms Moore had ingested any substance that may have resulted in an adverse reaction that proved fatal.
A number of people who spoke to her at the debs have been giving details about the night to the gardaí.
The venue has also been visited by garda members and CCTV gathered as gardaí try to piece together the dead woman’s last movements and the precise time and circumstances her wellbeing began deteriorating.
The coroner has been notified and a postmortem is expected to take place on Tuesday.
It is understood Jessica was due to receive her Leaving Certificate results on Tuesday morning.
A notice on RIP.ie says Jessica died suddenly “to the inexpressible grief of her heartbroken parents Brendan and Catherine”. It also says she was the “cherished and much-loved sister” of two siblings. Jessica’s funeral mass is due to take place at St Patrick’s Church Bullaun on Thursday afternoon.