Gardai to question youths as body is exhumed


Gardai investigating the killing of a Dublin student whose body was exhumed yesterday are expected to question further two other students who were in his company.

The body of David Langan (19) from Castleknock was disinterred at Castleknock Cemetery at first light yesterday.

Senior gardai in charge of the investigation decided the exhumation and post-mortem by the State Pathologist, Dr John Harbison, were necessary and received permission from his parents.

Mr Langan died from head injuries he received after leaving the Palace Disco in Camden Street in the early hours of August 25th. Gardai were told first Mr Langan had fallen and hit his head on the pavement 10 yards from the canal bridge at Portobello while he was with four other youths. They had been waiting for more than an hour for a taxi and gardai believe a dispute broke out.

A post-mortem was carried out by a surgeon in Beaumont Hospital on the basis the death was accidental.

Subsequently gardai received information Mr Langan had been beaten by two youths. Two youths, one from a fee-paying school in north Dublin and another from Limerick, were questioned. It is expected they will be further questioned after gardai receive results from yesterday's post-mortem.

Mr Langan was described as a well-liked, "very quiet" youth from a very respectable family. A former pupil of Castleknock College, he had been studying sound engineering. He was in a coma for six days before he died. He was six days from his 20th birthday.

The attack on Mr Langan happened six days before the killing of Mr Brian Murphy (18), who was beaten to death outside Anabel's disco in the Burlington Hotel in the early hours of August 31st.

The investigation file on Mr Murphy's killing involved taking statements from everyone who attended the disco on the night he died. More than 500 statements have been taken and are being processed. Four youths, all ex-pupils of Blackrock College, were arrested in September on suspicion of murder and questioned by detectives. They were later released.

It is expected detectives in Donnybrook station will complete the investigation in mid-January. The file will then be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) who will decide whether to bring charges.