Man charged over deaths of mother and daughter in Killorglin

Aurimas Andruska replies to charges: 'I didn’t kill, I can only tell'

Aurimas Andruska (right) pictured at Killarney Court in Killarney Co Kerry tonight. Photograph: Domnick Walsh/Eye Focus

Aurimas Andruska (right) pictured at Killarney Court in Killarney Co Kerry tonight. Photograph: Domnick Walsh/Eye Focus


A 26-year-old man has been remanded in custody after he was charged tonight with the double killing of a Lithuanian woman and her daughter at their rented home in Killorglin in Co Kerry earlier this month.

Aurimas Andruska, was brought before a special sitting of Killarney District Court and charged in connection with the deaths of Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her eight year-old daughter Enrika at their home at Langford Downs in Killorglin.

Mr Andruska, was charged with the murder of Ms Lubiene and the unlawful killing of her daughter on June 15th.

Det Sgt John Kelly of Killarney Garda station gave evidence of arresting Mr Andruska at School Road, Summerhill, Killorglin at 6.36pm and conveying him to Killarney Garda station where at 7.46pm he charged him with both offences.

Det Sgt Kelly told the court that Mr Andruska replied after caution “I didn’t kill, I can only tell” when the murder charge was put to him. He replied after caution “I will tell you exactly the same” when the second charge in relation to Enrika was put to him.

Mr Andruska had a Lithuanian interpreter with him when he was charged and the interpreter was also present when Det Sgt Kelly gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution during the special court sitting.

Defence solicitor Peter Malone said he had no questions for Det Sgt Kelly in respect of the arrests and charges and he applied for free legal aid and filed a statement of means and Judge James O’Connor granted Mr Andruska free legal aid in respect of both charges

Supt Flor Murphy of Killarney Garda station applied to have Mr Andruska remanded in custody to appear again at Killarney District Court next Tuesday, July 2nd and Judge O’Connor remanded him in custody to appear again on that date.

Mr Andruska - who was dressed in a black t-shirt, grey hooped hoodie and black tracksuit pants - showed no emotion during the six minute hearing as he listened intently to the interpreter while she translated proceedings for him.

Ms Lubiene’s husband and Enrika’s father Marius Lubys was in court along with Ms Lubiene’s sister Kristina Kulwviciene and her husband, Vaidas Kulevicius. Ms Kulwviciene became quite upset during the short hearing, crying softly as Mr Andruska was charged.

Judge O’Connor said he wished to convey his sympathies to Ms Lubiene’s family on their loss while he also asked that his condolences be conveyed to her family back in Lithuania.

Security was tight for Mr Andruska’s court appearance with over a dozen gardai escorting him into the courthouse on Fair Hill where around 100 people had gathered and shouted abuse and jeered at the accused as he was led into court.