Man arrested over disappearance of Lithuanian woman in 2018

Last confirmed sighting of Giedre Raguckaite (29) was at a house in Laytown in May 2018

A man has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of Giedre Raguckaite, who vanished almost four years ago. The man being detained is currently being held in prison in the Republic on unrelated offences and was arrested at the prison on Monday.

Gardaí from Dundalk carrying out the inquiry into Ms Raguckaite's disappearance took the suspect to a Garda station in the Midlands, where he was being questioned on Monday night. He was being detained under Section 42 of the Criminal Justice Act and can be detained for up to 24 hours without charge.

Ms Raguckaite, a 29-year-old from Lithuania, arrived in Ireland in March 2018, and lived in Drogheda, Co Louth before moving to College Heights, Hoey's Lane, Dundalk in April 2018. She moved out of that accommodation on Thursday May 24th, 2018.


Between May 24th and 29th, 2018 there were two sightings of her in the Dundalk area. On Tuesday evening, May 29th, 2018, she contacted a friend, and at about 6.30pm she called her father in Lithuania. She explained she had been in a hotel or licensed premises that day for dinner and was socialising.


The location of this premises is unknown, but it is believed she was in the Dundalk area until approximately 8pm. The last confirmed sighting of Ms Raguckaite was at a house in Laytown around 11pm on May 29th, 2018. She is believed to have been unconscious when she was taken into the house by two men.

While the men and Ms Raguckaite are believed to have left the house in the early hours of the following morning, she has not been seen since and her bank account has not been used.

Gardaí believe she is dead and her remains were disposed of. She was not reported missing until August 2018, when a report was made to Dundalk gardaí as her last known address was in the town.

Conor Lally

Conor Lally

Conor Lally is Security and Crime Editor of The Irish Times