Gardaí arrest suspect for Dublin one-punch killing

Luke O’Reilly (20) died in hospital from head injuries sustained after night out in Tallaght

Luke O’Reilly (20):  fatally injured in west Dublin on Halloween night.

Luke O’Reilly (20): fatally injured in west Dublin on Halloween night.


Gardaí investigating the suspected one-punch killing of a young Dublin man outside a city nightclub believe they know who struck the fatal blow.

The suspect has been arrested and has been assisting gardaí with what is now a murder inquiry.

Luke O’Reilly (20) was fatally injured after having been in a nightclub in west Dublin on Halloween night, October 31st.

Gardaí were called to the Old Blessington Road, Tallaght at about 3am on November 1st where they found the victim in an unresponsive state.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Tallaght Hospital. When his condition deteriorated, he was transferred to Beaumont Hospital, which specialises in the treatment of serious head injuries.

Mr O’Reilly was pronounced dead on Sunday afternoon.

Gardaí began a murder inquiry and a 20-year-old suspect was arrested on Monday in Tallaght. He is being questioned under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

Gardaí are working on the theory Mr O’Reilly had been socialising in a nightclub before being struck in the head. Garda sources said the investigation into the attack on Mr O’Reilly was well-advanced before his death on Sunday.

Investigators believe Mr O’Reilly, from from the Kiltipper area of Tallaght, died in a so-called one punch attack.

Mr O’Reilly’s former soccer team St Maelruan’s Football Club expressed shock at his killing.

“Luke played alongside a number of our current senior players at underage level and had recently expressed an interest in re-joining the club,” it said.

“Luke’s death has come as a huge shock to us at the club, particularly to those who played alongside him. Our thoughts and prayers are with Luke’s family and friends at this difficult time.”