Family of electrocuted man settles court action for €780,000

Donal Kinney (42) died working on a water pump for a mobile home at Brittas Bay

The family of a man who died after being electrocuted while working on a mobile home have settled their legal action for €780,000.

Donal Kinney (42) died after receiving an electric shock when working on an electric water pump for a mobile home at Brittas Bay, Co Wicklow, on July 15th 2010.

Arising out of his death, his partner Tracy O’Reilly, Rockfield House, St Bridgets Road, Wicklow, and the couple’s two sons Thomas and Daniel brought proceedings against the mobile home owner, businessman Oliver O’Reilly, Wellfield Close, Wicklow.

It was claimed Mr O’Reilly negligently allowed Mr Kinney to work on the mobile home when it was dangerous to do so and failed to warn Mr Kinney it was dangerous.

READ MORE

It was further alleged the electricity supply at the mobile home had been negligently installed and maintained.

The claims were brought on grounds of nervous shock, emotional distress and loss of dependency arising out of Mr Kinney’s death.

At the High Court on Monday, Mr Justice Richard Humphreys was told by Denis McCullough SC, for the family, the matter had been settled. Liability was not an issue, counsel also said.

Counsel said the actions had settled for a total €780,000 to be divided between Ms O'Reilly, the couple's two sons, Mr Kinney's mother Mary Theresa Kinney and his brother Martin Kinney.