John Joe Nevin told he will not get special treatment in court

Boxer was scheduled to appear on criminal damage charge

Judge Hughes said was noting John Joe Nevin’s non-appearance in court. Photograph: Inpho

Judge Hughes said was noting John Joe Nevin’s non-appearance in court. Photograph: Inpho

 

Olympic boxing silver medallist, John Joe Nevin has been told by a judge that he will receive “no extra privileges” from his court.

The Irish boxer, who competed in the 2012 London Olympics, was scheduled to appear at Mullingar District Court on Thursday on a criminal damage charge.

Nevin (25), from St Anthony’s Cottages in Mullingar, is charged with damaging property – ornaments and a glass cabinet containing crystal, belonging to Rosemarie Nevin – to the value of €200 on February 16th last at Ardleigh Vale, Mullingar.

He had been granted bail on the charge at an initial court appearance on February 18th.

When his case was called his solicitor Patricia Cronin advised Judge Seamus Hughes that her client was currently out of the country, training in the UK.

Ms Cronin said she had advised the Sate of this in advance of the hearing.

Judge Hughes said he had seen the accused man in court on a number of occasions previously.

“I’m noting his non-appearance. He will get no extra privileges. He will get no extra special treatment,” the judge said.

Inspector Dermot Drea told the court he was still awaiting the directions of the Director of Public Prosecutions in the matter and applied for an adjournment of six weeks.

Judge Hughes said he would adjourn the case until June and advised Ms Cronin that he was noting her client’s non-appearance on the court file. He remanded Nevin on continuing bail.

Last week Nevin was barred from every pub in Co Westmeath pending a court case following a fight outside a bar. Nevin was one of five members of his extended family to appear before Mullingar District Court, charged with being drunk in a public place and with threatening and abusive behaviour.

Judge Hughes was told that further charges may arise from the incident which involved up to 25 people fighting outside a pub.

Nevin was remanded on bail to appear before the court on those charges next month.

A number of bail conditions were imposed but Judge Hughes said that these would be temporarily lifted to allow Nevin to go abroad to train or to facilitate him here if the prosecuting garda saw fit.

The court was told by Sgt Damien Connaughton that between 20-25 people were involved in the fight which broke out outside The Stillery pub on Dominick Street in the town centre around 11.30pm on April 6th, 2015.