Couple accused of abducting their child remanded pending DPP decision

Conditions imposed include bar on contact with child or witnesses in case

The man and woman, aged in their 30s, are accused of abducting their child in early October but  cannot be identified due to reporting restrictions.

The man and woman, aged in their 30s, are accused of abducting their child in early October but cannot be identified due to reporting restrictions.

 

A mother and father accused of abducting their child have been remanded on continuing bail pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

They made their second appearance before Judge Treasa Kelly at Dublin District Court on Thursday.

Gardaí arrested and charged them on October 14th for the offence which is alleged to have occurred in the previous week.

The court heard the child was in the care of another family member.

The parents had an access arrangement before the alleged kidnapping.

Judge Kelly noted on Thursday that investigating gardaí still needed to obtain the DPP’s directions.

Defence solicitor Niall O’Connor said his clients consented to an eight-week adjournment.

Judge Kelly remanded them on continuing bail but said they did not need to attend the next hearing on January 21st.

The man and woman, aged in their 30s, cannot be identified due to reporting restrictions.

At a bail hearing last month, gardaí maintained the couple were caught after a family member witnessed them leaving the scene.

Judge Kelly had granted bail, but she warned they must obey several conditions. The unemployed couple must reside at their family home, sign on daily at their local Garda station, remain contactable by phone at all times, and have no contact directly or indirectly with the child or any witness in the proceedings,

They are not allowed near the child’s home and must remain drug and alcohol-free.