Couple accused of abducting their child released on bail

Pair freed on strict conditions, ordered to remain drug and alcohol-free

A mother and father accused of abducting their child have been released on bail with strict conditions, including that they must remain drug and alcohol-free.

They appeared before Judge Treasa Kelly at Dublin District Court on Thursday where gardaí objected to bail due to the seriousness of the case.

The court heard the child is now in the care of another family member.

The man and woman cannot be identified due to reporting restrictions.

Gardaí said the pair, aged in their 30s, had been witnessed by a family member leaving the sceneof the alleged kidnapping earlier this week. They had an access arrangement prior to incident.

Gardaí had concerns that they lived close to the child, and there could be a recurrence. It was alleged both told gardaí they intended to leave the jurisdiction.

They allegedly made admissions when interviewed at a Dublin Garda station.

Judge Kelly heard that gardaí wanted conditions for them to not live in the same county as their child if the court granted bail.

Defence solicitor Niall O’Connor said his clients were agreeable to residing at a homeless hostel in Dublin and not contacting the child.

However, Judge Kelly said she needed to know where they would be living day to day before she granted bail. That would not be the case if they were relying on hostel accommodation, she said.

She agreed to allow them to reside at their home address, but she warned they must obey several conditions. They have to sign on daily at their local Garda station, provide their phone numbers and remain contactable at all times, and have no contact directly or indirectly with the child or any witness in the proceedings.

The couple must not go near the child’s home and were warned to remain drug and alcohol-free.

They spoke briefly during the hearing. The woman said, “I do,” and her partner replied “yes” as the judge asked if they understood the conditions.

Judge Kelly ordered them to appear again in court on November 11th pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Mr O’Connor said they were unemployed and of limited means. Legal aid was granted.