Bradley the difference in Derry win


Donegal 1-12 Derry 1-14: Despite hitting eleven first half wides, Derry found their range in the second half to secure a narrow win against neighbours Donegal in their Ulster SFC quarter-final in Ballybofey.

Donegal led by three points after ten minutes of the second half but failed to raise another flag until the 70th minute, while Paddy Bradley was in brilliant form, hitting seven second half points.

Derry started well but had three wides in four minutes while at the other end David Walsh and Colm McFadden found the range for Donegal.

By the 13th minute Derry were ahead with two Bradley points Eoin Bradley availed of a slip by Eamon McGee to fire home the opening goal of the game from close range.

Donegal responded well with points from Kevin Cassidy and two from Colm McFadden. They went in front on the half hour mark when awarded a penalty, although Christy Toye seemed to be just outside the area.

From the spot Michael Murphy blasted into the net and Colm McFadden added another fisted point.

Just before the break Conleth Gilligan and Rory Kavanagh traded points before Paddy Bradley had the final score from a free to leave the half-time score, Donegal 1-7, Derry 1-4.

Derry made changes in defence for the second half but were still three points in arrears after ten minutes. Then five Bradley points in succession put them in control as they turned the deficit into a winning lead.

Bradley was outstanding from play and from frees in a contest that was in doubt until the final minutes.

Donegal: P Durcan; K Lacey, N McGee, E McGee; F McGlynn, B Monaghan (0-1), B Dunnion; K Cassidy (0-1), N Gallagher; C Toye, M Hegarty, R Kavanagh (0-2); M Murphy (1-1,pen), C McFadden (0-6,3f), D Walsh (0-1).
Subs., B Roper for Hegarty; K Rafferty for Toye.

Derry: J Deighan; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; G O'Kane, N McCusker, M McIver; F Doherty, J Diver; M Lynch, P Murphy, E Muldoon (0-1); C Gilligan (0-2,2f), P Bradley (0-10,8f), E Bradley (1-1).
Subs., P Cartin for McIver; J Conway for Murphy; P Devlin for Lynch.

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo)