Spicy squash soup
Spicy squash soup. Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 60 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: American
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 large onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoons fresh or ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- 1kg squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 750ml stock of your choice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 100g cashew nuts, toast and chopped
1. Heat a medium saucepan and add the oil followed by the onions and celery and season well with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften, place a lid on top and allow to simmer on a low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and cook for another few minutes.
3. Add the squash and stock, replace the lid and bring to the boil, and allow to simmer until the squash is very soft.
4. Add the coconut milk and bring back to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add seasoning if needed.
5. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before whizzing to a puree.
6. Mix in the chopped cashew nuts just before serving.