Pork with apples and cream
Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- Cuisine: French
- 100g butter
- 750g pork shoulder cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500ml dry cider
- 250ml chicken stock
- 4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 200ml creme fraiche
1. Heat a frying pan and add the butter. When it starts to foam, add the meat in two to three batches, brown on all sides and season well with salt and pepper as you go.
2. Transfer the pork to a casserole pot and add the onions to the frying pan, adding a little more butter if needed. Cook until soft and add to the pork.
3. Next add the cider to the frying pan and return to the heat. Allow to boil for a couple of minutes before adding to the meat.
4. Pour the stock and the prepared apples into the casserole, bring slowly to a simmer and cook for an hour or until the meat is nice and tender.
5. Add the cream, slowly bring back to the boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes while mixing well. Serve.