Nut-free oatie bars
- Makes: 8
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- 150g porridge oats
- 25g self-raising flour
- 30g Rice Krispies (puffed rice)
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or linseeds, chia seeds)
- 30g goji berries (or cranberries)
- 50g dried apricots, chopped (or sultanas)
- 50g butter
- 150g golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan). Grease and line a rectangular (26cm x 18cm) or square baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl (oats, flour, Rice Krispies, cinnamon, seeds and dried fruits). Mix to combine them.
3. In a small saucepan heat the butter and golden syrup together over a medium high heat until melted. Set aside for five minutes to cool down slightly.
4. In three additions, carefully fold the melted butter and syrup mixture through the dry ingredients, until the mixture is fully coated.
5. Transfer the mixture to the lined tin, levelling the surface with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden on the surface (cover with tinfoil for the last five minutes if it starts to colour sooner – this will avoid any fruit on the surface burning).
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully in the tin. Cut into squares or fingers.