Lavender shortbread biscuits
- Makes: 12
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- 75g butter, softened
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lavender buds
- Pinch salt
- 100g plain flour, sieved
1. Preheat oven to 170°C fan. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together.
3. Coarsely chop half the lavender buds (leave the rest whole). Mix the lavender and a tiny pinch of salt into the sieved flour and incorporate the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Lightly flour your hands and bring the dough together into a small patty, wrap in cling film and leave the dough to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. After the dough has been chilled in the fridge, roll it out on a well-floured surface to 3mm thickness and use a medium size cookie cutter to stamp out circles. (If you find it hard to roll out, place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper.)
6. Transfer the biscuits onto a baking sheet and return to the fridge to chill again for 15 mins. This will prevent the biscuits spreading or losing their shape if you are using a cutter with a frilled edge.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 mins or until pale golden. Allow to cool for 5 mins before lifting shortbread biscuits onto a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.