Bombay eggs – Carmel Somers’ recipe
Now we are into the new year it’s time to remember those new eating habits you wanted to put in place. Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- 1 tsp olive/coconut oil½ tablespoon cumin seeds1 large onion, finely choppedSmall piece of fresh ginger (by eye)1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon powdered turmeric½ red chilli finely chopped / ¼ tsp chilli powder1 tomato diced - optional12 eggs, beaten well
1. Toast the cumin seeds on a dry pan and set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium heat and add the onions and soften.
3. Now add the ginger and stir for a few minutes until you start to smell it.
4. Add the salt, turmeric and chilli and stir to prevent the spices burning. In less than a minute, add the cumin and tomato (and it’s juice) and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the beaten eggs and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the eggs are very softly scrambled.
6. Stir in the coriander and serve.