A delicious twist on the classic biscuit base banoffee
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 90 mins
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- 3-4 just-ripe bananas, sliced diagonally into 4cm lengths
- 250ml cream, softly whipped
- 40g chocolate, grated
- 3 egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Caramel Sauce
- 30g butter
- 20g caster sugar
- 100ml condensed milk
- 1 tsp golden syrup
1. Preheat oven to 120°C (conventional oven). Use a pencil and a 20cm dinner plate to outline a circle on a sheet of parchment paper. Turn the paper over and place on a greased baking sheet.
2. To make the meringue: place egg whites in a spotlessly clean, grease-free mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, whisk on high speed until the egg whites resemble soft white peaks. Use a large spoon to gradually add the caster sugar while you continue to whisk. Keep whisking for approximately 10 minutes until the mixture is glossy and stiff. Stir the cornflour and vinegar together, then gently fold the cornflour and vinegar mixture through the meringue.
3. To shape the pavlova, pile the meringue into the centre of the circle. Without flattening the meringue, use a spatula to spread the meringue into a circle, within the outline as drawn. Level the top with a spatula.
4. Bake on the lowest shelf of the preheated oven for 1½ hours, resisting the temptation to open the oven door. Turn off the oven and leave the pavlova inside the oven to cool down fully. Once cool, set aside in an airtight container until ready to use.
5. For the caramel, melt the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over a gentle heat. When the sugar has dissolved fully, add the condensed milk and golden syrup. Increase the heat to high and stand over the pan, stirring for approximately 10 minutes until a golden caramel colour (reduce the heat if the sugar starts to catch on the base of the pan). The caramel needs to be a pouring consistency when served (so, if it goes stiff, gently reheat and loosen by stirring in a splash of cream or milk).
6. When ready to serve, top the pavlova with freshly whipped cream and the sliced bananas. Drizzle caramel over the top. Lastly scatter with grated chocolate. Serve immediately.