Spectacular David O’Sullivan strike ends Longford Town’s winless drought

Tony Cousins’ side managed to edge past Bray Wanderers by narrowest of margins

Longford Town 1 Bray Wanderers 0

A spectacular fifth goal of the season from David O’Sullivan earned Longford Town a first win in eight league games.

Tony Cousins' side made hard work of the overdue victory, however, as they had to defend tenaciously late on following the sending off of midfielder Stephen Rice.

Though Bray looked the more composed side from the off, it was Longford who might have been ahead from the game’s first real opening on 14 minutes.


Mark Rossiter headed skipper Mark Salmon's free kick back across the area where O'Sullivan should have at least hit the target rather than volleying over the bar from close range.

Though forewarned, the same set-piece almost caught Bray out a second time six minutes later when Rossiter was again left unmarked from another Salmon delivery. His downward header scarcely troubled Peter Cherrie, though, who gathered at the foot of a post.

Longford had their keeper Paul Hunt to thank for not falling behind on 37 minutes from the one clear-cut chance of the half.

Ryan McEvoy and Dave Scully worked the opening to put Chris Lyons through on goal. Hunt raced out, spread himself well to make a fine save.

Guilty of a miss in the first half, O’Sullivan made full amends with a cracking goal to win it for Longford on 56 minutes.

Collecting Salmon’s long pass, O’Sullivan unleashed a powerful right foot drive form the edge of the area past Cherrie.

Bray responded with skipper David Cassidy bringing another good save from Hunt from a low drive within two minutes.

Longford then had to dig in after losing Rice on 73 minutes when he was sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Michael Barker.

Longford Town: Hunt; Sullivan, Gorman, Rossiter, Powell; Salmon, O'Connor, Rice, Shannon (Ben Mohamed, 85); Kelly (Simon, 61), O'Sullivan (Gannon, 75).

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie; Douglas, McNally, Cooney, Barker; Sullivan; Scully, McEvoy, Cassidy, McGlynn (Onwubiko, 76); Lyons.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).