African Cup of Nations round-up: Comoros stun Ghana to keep their hopes alive

Senegal take top spot in Group B as Zimbabwe sign off with upset of Guinea

Ghana’s Africa Cup of Nations campaign came to a humiliating end on Tuesday as they were beaten 3-2 by debutants Comoros Islands at Garoua’s Roumde Adjia Stadium in Cameroon to finish bottom of Group C with just a single point.

El Fardou Ben Mohamed scored Comoros’ first ever goal at the continental finals before Ahmed Mogni added a second just past the hour-mark. Goals from Richmond Boakye and Alexander Djiku levelled the game up for Ghana, but Mogni grabbed a winner for the tiny island nation with five minutes remaining.

It is the first time in their history that Ghana have failed to win at least one pool stage match having made 22 past visits to the finals, their cause not helped in Garoua by playing for 65 minutes with 10 men after a harsh early red card for lead striker Dede Ayew.

Morocco topped Group C with seven points after drawing 2-2 with Gabon, who follow on five and also advance to the second round. Comoros have an outside chance of being among the best third-placed finishers, though their minus two goal-difference will likely count against them.


Already-eliminated Zimbabwe upset Guinea with a 2-1 in Yaounde earlier on Tuesday, although Guinea will still advance to the last 16 as runners-up in Group B.

Captain Knowledge Musona and Kudakwashe Mahachi both scored in the first half to earn Zimbabwe a farewell win after losing their opening two matches as they finished last in the group.

Naby Keita pulled a goal back for Guinea early in the second half, but they could not find an equaliser. The Liverpool midfielder was cautioned late in the game for dissent and, in a further blow for Guinea, he will miss their next game in the knockout phase.

Heavyweights Senegal failed to fire again and were fortunate not to concede a penalty in a 0-0 draw with unfancied Malawi but they still finished in top spot in Group B.

Senegal won the group with five points, despite scoring only once in their three matches via a late Sadio Mane penalty against Zimbabwe in their opening game.

Malawi and Guinea both finished with four points but the latter took second spot on the head-to-head rule, while the Malawians must now wait to see if they are one of the four best third-placed teams, who also advance to the next round.

Malawi were left fuming when Cameroon referee Blaise Ngwa cancelled a late penalty he initially awarded them at the Kouekong Stadium in Bafoussam, after Gomezgani Chirwa was brought down in the box by defender Bouna Sarr.

The decision was overturned on review, but Senegal can regard themselves as fortunate as there was both a pull of the shirt and contact.

Malawi's president Lazarus Chakwera had offered each of those who played against Senegal a payment of 1 million Kwacha (€1,075) if the team advances to the second round. The chance to make history and be the first team from the country to progress in the tournament may be more rewarding, however.

Senegal had newly crowned Fifa Best Men's Goalkeeper Edouard Mendy back in the team after he missed their first two matches due to Covid-19, and he was arguably the busier of the glovemen, certainly in the first half.

Malawi used the pace of Frank Mhango and guile of Francisco Madinga to create a number of chances in the opening period that forced the Chelsea goalkeeper into smart saves.

But the best chance of the half fell to Mane, who met Sarr’s cut-back but managed only to scoop the ball over the crossbar with the net gaping.

Mhango had a free-kick that was deflected just wide of Mendy’s goal by Senegal midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate, whose earlier yellow card will mean he misses their second round fixture.

Habib Diallo steered a powerful header from a free-kick on target but Malawi's debutant goalkeeper Charles Thom produced a fine save. Thom was in the side because regular number one Ernest Kakhobwe has suspected malaria.