Southampton’s resurgence proves bad news for Palace and Warnock

Christian Eriksen free-kick helps Spurs see off Leicester

Premier League round-up: Southampton's resurgence continued in style with a 3-1 victory over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on an afternoon when the home fans turned on Neil Warnock.

Many thought the bubble had burst on Saints’ astonishing start to the campaign after an embarrassing Capital One Cup exit to third-tier Sheffield United made it five straight defeats in all competitions.

Saints brought that miserable run to an end against Everton last weekend and impressively racked up another big win on a wet day in south London, where Sadio Mane, Ryan Bertrand and Toby Alderweireld netted in a 3-1 victory, which saw Scott Dann score a late consolation.

The defeat means Palace have won just one of their last 12 top-flight matches – a poor run which not only saw them slip into the bottom three but resulted in a large number of supporters audibly turn on Warnock.


A chorus of "you don't know what you're doing" echoed around Selhurst Park when the Yorkshireman, back at the Palace helm for the second time, brought defender Martin Kelly on for Yannick Bolasie with his side already three goals behind.

Warnock's side did not concede after that and, in fact, managed a goal through Dann, but few could argue with a Saints win started by Mane rounding Julian Speroni.

The Senegal international turned provider as Bertrand classily finished early in the second half – a goal added to moments later as Alderweireld’s header wrapped up an impressive result for Saints.

Christian Eriksen was Tottenham's saviour as they survived a storm to edge past Leicester 2-1.

The midfielder curled in a free kick with 19 minutes left to leave the Foxes winless in their last 13 games.

Former Leicester loanee Harry Kane scored inside the first minute for Spurs but the Foxes rallied and Leonardo Ulloa levelled in the second half.

The striker also hit the post and Hugo Lloris saved from Riyad Mahrez and Jeff Schlupp but Leicester could not lift themselves off the bottom of the table.

Gylfi Sigurdsson's stunning free-kick gave Swansea a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Aston Villa at the Liberty Stadium.

Swansea looked as if they would be able to build on Sigurdsson's 13th-minute strike with Ecuador winger Jefferson Montero causing Villa problems whenever he had the ball.

But Montero’s departure to a hamstring injury halfway through the first period tilted the balance of power and Villa will consider themselves hugely unlucky not to return home to the Midlands with at least a point.

Villa might well have had a 72nd-minute penalty when Gabriel Agbonlahor was shoved in the back by Ashley Williams, the striker getting his shot away but the intervention of the Swansea skipper clearly enough to hamper him.

And goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski twice came to Swansea's rescue in stoppage time when he saved superbly from Christian Benteke and Agbonlahor.

Bojan Krkic's first-half penalty steered Stoke to a 1-0 win over Everton in a physical encounter at Goodison Park.

The visitors took the lead in the 38th minute when referee Lee Mason adjudged Republic of Ireland midfielder James McCarthy to have fouled Bojan and the Spanish forward slotted in the resulting spot-kick.

Steven Naismith had a header cleared off the Potters' line, Kevin Mirallas passed up a decent-looking chance to equalise and Leighton Baines's drive was parried by Asmir Begovic, but Everton struggled overall to create much against a solid Stoke outfit.

In an inconsistent season, the Toffees have now lost three times at home in the league and won only one of their last six top-flight games.

Roberto Martinez’s men have slipped a place in the table to 12th, with Stoke – following only their second victory in seven matches – replacing them in 11th.

Substitute Nikica Jelavic completed a remarkable fightback as Hull's agonising wait for a Premier League victory came to an end at the 11th attempt at Sunderland.

The striker cemented a 3-1 victory in the sixth minute of stoppage time to extend the Tigers’ hold over the Black Cats following last season’s treble success against them.

Steve Bruce's men, who last claimed all three points against Crystal Palace on October 4th, were behind within 30 seconds after Adam Johnson punished skipper Curtis Davies's calamitous error.

However, in front of a largely horrified crowd of 44,817, Uruguayan Gaston Ramirez levelled from distance with 33 minutes gone with City's first goal in 333 minutes of football to set the stage for defender James Chester and Jelavic to snatch the points.

It proved a frustrating afternoon for Ramirez's compatriot Gus Poyet, who had challenged his side to put together back-to-back victories after their derby success at Newcastle, but saw them wilt in disappointing fashion, although they felt they should have been awarded a first-half penalty and were furious at award of the free-kick which immediately preceded Chester's goal.