McDonald quits Mayo team after fans' insults
The latest chapter in Kieran McDonald's uneasy relationship with the Mayo team came yesterday in Hyde Park when the Crossmolina man, who had been selected to appear for the county, failed to show for the FBD Connacht League final against Roscommon.
A Mayo County Board spokesman said that McDonald had indicated during the week he would not be lining out for Mayo for the rest of the year.
Two weeks ago the Mayo board had issued a statement stating that, contrary to a report on local radio, McDonald had not decided to hang up his inter-county boots.
McDonald also indicated that the story about his decision to retire was untrue and he would be playing for Mayo in this year's championship.
However, it is understood that McDonald's decision has come in the light of abuse that was hurled at him and members of his family after the Mayo-Fermanagh National League clash in which McDonald had a poor game, missing a number of frees.
Mayo manager John Maughan said he had not heard from McDonald but he did understand that he had decided to withdraw from the panel for personal reasons.
"Until I speak with him I can't really make any comment and obviously I would prefer if he was going to play for the year," said Maughan."
Meanwhile, Tyrone completed a four in a row of Ulster under-21 football titles but in somewhat controversial circumstances in Enniskillen on Saturday. A goal from a disputed penalty in the 26th minute helped to give them a 2-8 to 0-11 win over Monaghan.
In Leinster, Dublin remain on course to retain their title after a 0-9 to 0-3 win over Westmeath in the semi-final on Saturday.