Limerick enjoy scoring spree in impressive win over Waterford

Billy Lee’s side will now fancy giving Cork a run for their money in Munster semi-final

Limerick 4-18 Waterford 0-12

Limerick carried their impressive Division Three league form into the championship as they brushed Waterford aside at LIT Gaelic Ground in a one-sided encounter which they could have won by an even bigger margin had they taken all their goal chances.

They will now meet Cork in the Munster SFC semi-final in two weeks in Limerick and Billy Lee’s men will fancy having a crack at the Rebels after this scoring spree.

Limerick made the most of the breeze in the opening half and half a dozen players hitting the target they went in leading by 2-9 to 0-7 at the break


The two goals came from the Bourke brothers with Robbie giving Limerick the perfect start after three minutes when he finished to the net after good work by Cillian Fahy.

Waterford wing back Dermot Ryan did most to get them going and he went forward to kick three great points but Limerick led at the first water break by 1-6 to 0-4 after points from Robbie Bourke, Fahy and midfielder Tommie Childs.

Sheehan and Hugh Bourke extended Limerick's lead before Michael Kiely responded for Waterford while Neville saw another goal chance end with a point as Limerick continued to dominate.

Darragh Corcoran and another Jason Curry free gave Waterford hope but then just before the break Neville set up Hugh Bourke and he blasted home Limerick's second goal to lead by eight at the break.

Darragh Corcoran got the opening score of the second half for Waterford but two pointed frees from Hugh Bourke extended Limerick's lead and then substitute Brian Donovan soloed through for a fine point.

Captain Iain Corbett slotted home a penalty for Limerick after Neville was fouled to lead by 3-12 to 0-8 after 49 minutes.

They pushed on from there and the rout was completed when Fahy fisted home their fourth goal after 54 minutes.

LIMERICK: D O'Sullivan; S O'Dea, B Fanning, M Donovan; R Childs, I Corbett (1-2, 1-0 pen), G Brown; D Treacy, T Childs (0-1); C Sheehan (0-2), C Fahy (1-1), A Enright; D Neville (0-2), R Bourke (1-2, one free), H Bourke (1-6, three frees).

Subs: B Donovan (0-1) for Enright (42), J Naughton for Sheehan (51), J Ryan (0-1) for R Bourke (53), P Maher for O'Dea (53), P Nash for Neville (58).

WATERFORD: P Hunt; D Ó Cathasaigh, A Jones, J Elsted; D Hallihan, B Looby, D Ryan (0-3); T Prendergast, M Curry; C Murray, M Kiely (0-1), M Cummins; S Curry, J Curry (0-2, two frees), D Corcoran (0-2).

Subs: C Maguire for Prendergast (18-27), D Guiry for J Curry (half-time), C Maguire for M Curry (51), B Lynch (0-4, three frees) for Kiely (51), S Boyce for Jones (51), J Gleeson for Cummins (58).

Referee: J McQuillan (Cavan).