Dublin player accused of biting DCU opponent in O’Byrne Cup match

Leinster Council to investigate allegations

The Leinster Council is to investigate allegations that a Dublin player bit an opponent in Sunday's Bórd na Móna O'Byrne Cup match in Parnell Park. The incident was brought to the attention of Meath referee David Gough, who hadn't seen it.

It took place in the course of a flare-up on the field in the second half after which two players were yellow carded.

Leinster chief executive Michael Delaney has confirmed to this newspaper that the matter would be looked at further. "We have received the referee's report and he makes reference to an incident involving two unnamed players so there will be a meeting of the Leinster CCC [Competitions Control Committee] on Wednesday [tomorrow] night to consider the next step.

“Both sides have been contacted and asked for comments in writing on the matter. There won’t be a decision taken at the meeting and that’s about all I can say about it at the moment.”


Second investigation
There will be dismay in Dublin at the prospect of a second investigation into allegations of biting against one of the county's players within the space of a year.

Last April, Croke Park's Central Hearings Committee found that the allegation against Kevin O'Brien arising from a league match in Donegal had not been proven.

Sunday's match was, according to observers, surprisingly fractious given the close links between the county and DCU. Dublin All Stars Rory O'Carroll and Paul Flynn were both sent from the field, the former on a black card and the latter on a red.

It remains to be seen how vigorously DCU will want to pursue the matter, as the Leinster Council will be unable to proceed very far without direct evidence from any aggrieved parties.

If the Leinster CCC finds there is a case to answer and is able to identify the alleged culprit, they will recommend a suspension and the player then has a choice whether to accept or seek a hearing.

Bonnar steps down
Meanwhile former Wexford manager and Tipperary All-Ireland winner Colm Bonnar has stepped down as manager of Waterford club Ballygunner – just weeks after he was appointed.

Bonnar was ratified as the new manager at the club's AGM shortly before Christmas having agreed to take over from fellow Tipperary native and ex-Waterford player Andy Moloney.

Moloney had taken the former Munster champions to last year's county final but the team blew a seven-point lead as Passage scored 2-4 in the last five minutes to claim a sensational win and he agreed to take a step back.