Successful green journey continues at Newbridge site
Pfizer's Newbridge facility has an impressive record of environmental targets
In 2016, CO2 was reduced to 23,000 tonnes from 40,000 in 2013. Photograph: iStock
“We recognise the importance of sustainability, both globally and in Newbridge,” says Michael Donlon, environmental health and safety lead at Pfizer Newbridge.
The site's environmental journey underwent a renewed focus in 2010 with the “You have the Power” initiative, aimed at reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions.
Meeting these goals proved the Newbridge site’s commitment to protecting the environment, he explains: no plant waste goes to landfill, 81 per cent is recycled or recovered, the remaining 19 per cent goes for other thermal treatment. All electricity used is from renewable sources.
In 2016, CO2 was reduced to 23,000 tonnes from 40,000 in 2013; The use of natural gas to power the CHP plant reduces NO2 and SO2 emissions; Water consumption fell from 284,000 megalitres in 2009 to 214,000 in 2016, where 32,726 megalitres of waste water alone was recycled.
These achievements are especially impressive given the growth of the facility’s production output, Donlon says. “We achieved significant reductions through initiatives including upgrading lighting to lower energy LEDs and ensuring that the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems met our operational requirements, whilst minimising energy consumption.
“Progress was made thanks to the active engagement and collaboration of colleagues. Our commitment is to operate in a manner that is harmonious with the community in which we reside. The waste water, for example, which is discharged from our treatment plant, meets drinking standards. We want to reduce our water intake and we now take this waste water from the plant and reuse it in the cooling towers, thereby reducing our water intake to the site.”
“Our waste contracting parties identify opportunities to reduce, recycle or remove waste,” says Donlon. “All aspects of sustainability are important,” Donlon concludes. “We are conscious of the potential impact of our operations and will therefore continue to operate in an environmentally responsible sustainable manner.”