US abandons failed Syrian rebel training programme
US will instead provide arms and equipment directly to rebel leaders fighting Islamic State
Men on motorcycles inspect a site hit by what activists said were air strikes carried out by the Russian air force in the town of Babila, in the southern countryside of Idlib, Syria. Photograph: Khalil Ashawi/Reuters
The United States will largely abandon its failed efforts to train moderate Syrian rebels fighting Islamic State, and instead provide arms and equipment directly to rebel leaders and their units on the battlefield, the Obama administration said on Friday.
The US announcement marked the effective end to a short-lived $580 million program to train and equip units of fighters at sites outside of Syria, after its disastrous launch this year fanned criticism of President Barack Obama’s war strategy.
The Pentagon said it would shift its focus away from training to providing weapons and other equipment to rebel groups whose leaders have passed a US vetting process to ensure they are not linked to militant Islamist groups.
The strategy switch comes as the Obama administration grapples with a dramatic change in the landscape in Syria’s four-year civil war, brought about by Russia’s military intervention in support of President Bashar al-Assad. Moscow’s intervention has cast doubt on Obama’s strategy there and raised questions about US influence in the region.
Moscow is mounting air strikes and missile attacks that it says are aimed both at supporting its longtime ally Mr Assad and combating Islamic State. Washington says Russian air strikes in Syria are targeted primarily not at Islamic State but at other rebel groups, including those that have received US support.
Mr Obama has previously questioned the notion that arming rebels would change the course of Syria’s war. In an interview with the New York Times in August 2014, he said the idea that arming the moderate Syrian opposition would make a big difference on the battlefield had “always been a fantasy.”
By vetting only rebel commanders, the new US policy could raise the risk that American-supplied arms could fall into the hands of individual fighters who are anti-Western.
Christine Wormuth, the Pentagon’s number three civilian official, said however that the United States had “pretty high confidence” in the Syrian rebels it would supply, and that the equipment would not include “higher end” arms such as anti-tank rockets and shoulder-fired anti-aircraft rockets.
The Pentagon will provide “basic kinds of equipment” to leaders of the groups, Wormuth, Under Secretary of Defence for Policy, told reporters on a White House conference call.
The Syrian rebel groups that have recently won favour with Washington include Sunni Arabs and Kurds as well as Syrian Christians, US officials have said.
Mrs Wormuth defended the Pentagon programme launched in May that trained only 60 fighters, falling far short of the original goal of 5,400 and so working out at a cost so far of nearly $10 million per trained fighter.
“I don’t think at all this was a case of poor execution,” Mrs Wormuth said. “It was inherently a very, very complex mission,”
Ben Rhodes, the White House deputy national security adviser, said the new approach showed there had been “deficiencies” in the train-and-equip program that had to be addressed.
When it was launched, the program was seen as a test of Mr Obama’s strategy of having local partners combat Islamic State militants and keeping US troops off the front lines. But the program was troubled from the start, with some of the first class of fighters coming under attack from al-Qaeda’s Syria wing, Nusra Front, in their battlefield debut.
The Pentagon confirmed last month that a group of US-trained Syrian rebels had handed over ammunition and equipment to Nusra Front, purportedly in exchange for safe passage.
The administration has acknowledged that its efforts to attract recruits have struggled because the program was solely authorised to fight Islamic State, rather than Mr Assad.
“No one in Syria is going to just fight ISIL ... it’s doomed to fail with these restrictions,” Republican senator Lindsey Graham said on MSNBC, using an acronym for Islamic State. Mr Graham has been a leading critic of the Syria policy of Obama, a Democrat.
Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said in a statement that the plan was to supply rebel groups so that they could “make a concerted push into territory still controlled by ISIL.”
The United States would also provide air support to rebels as they battle Islamic State, Mr Cook said.
US Defence Secretary Ash Carter said in the statement he believed the changes would “over time, increase the combat power of counter-ISIL forces in Syria.”
US support would now focus on weapons, communications gear and ammunition, another Pentagon official said, speaking on condition of anonymity, adding the re-envisioned program would start in “days.” The official declined to say how many Syrian rebel leaders would be trained.
Another US official said the new weapons supplies could eventually be channelled through vetted commanders to thousands of fighters, but declined to be more specific about the numbers.
The Pentagon did not name which groups would receive support.
Reuters reported last week that the Obama administration was considering extending support to thousands of Syrian rebel fighters, including along a stretch of the Turkey-Syria border, as part of the revamped approach to Syria.
The United States would also support members of the Syrian Arab Coalition, under that plan.
Speaking to reporters during a visit to London, Mr Carter said the new US effort would seek to enable Syrian rebels in much the way the United States had helped Kurdish forces to successfully battle Islamic State in Syria.
After Islamic State’s brutal offensive through northern Iraq in June 2014, Mr Obama asked Congress for an initial $500 million to “train and equip” Syria’s opposition fighters, whom he later described as “the best counterweight” to Islamic State militants and a key pillar in his campaign to defeat them.