Man (22) dies after Dublin stabbing


Two men were stabbed, one of them fatally, in the early hours of Saturday morning after they had, gardaí believe, become involved in an earlier fight with two youths aged 16 and 19.

The dead man, aged 22, was from Germany and had been studying media studies. He was stabbed in the abdomen and suffered a severed artery in the attack outside the apartment where he was living in the Rialto area of Dublin’s south inner city.

The second victim, who was a friend of the dead man and is also German, is seriously ill in hospital but is in a stable condition and is expected to survive.

He suffered a number of slash and stab wounds, mostly to his hands, none of which is life-threatening.

The double stabbing occurred outside the Herberton apartments on St Anthony’s Road at about 5.30am yesterday.

Party in apartment

Gardaí believe the two men stabbed were at a social gathering in a first-floor apartment.

They were on the balcony with a number of other people when two local teenagers walked past on the street below.

Detectives believe words were exchanged between the teenagers and the men on the balcony.

At that point at least two men from the party in the apartment made their way downstairs and became involved in an altercation on the street with the teenagers.

Gardaí are trying to establish whether a fight then broke out, as some witnesses suggested the row became physical at that point.

After a period the altercation ended and the local teenagers left the scene as the men with whom they were arguing returned to the party.

However, some time later the teenagers came back and, when confronted on the street again by people from the party, the teenagers produced knives and the two German men were stabbed.

The man who died lost a significant amount of blood at the scene. He was taken by ambulance to the nearby St James’s Hospital, where he underwent surgery.

While he survived for a number of hours his injuries proved fatal and he was pronounced dead at about 9am.

His friend, also aged 22, is still undergoing treatment in the hospital.

Three arrests

Gardaí yesterday arrested two teenagers, aged 16 and 19. They both have addresses in the Dublin 8 area and are suspects in the case.

Gardaí today arrested a woman in her 40s in relation to the stabbing.

The arrest took place at about 1pm and the woman is being held at Pearse Street Garda station.

The scene of the attack was sealed off immediately after gardaí arrived at it in the early hours of yesterday morning. It has undergone examination by the members of the Garda Technical Bureau.

Local gardaí from Kilmainham Garda station have also been carrying out door-to-door inquiries in the area.

They have spoken to some of the people who were at the party in the apartment and to other people who witnessed yesterday morning’s events.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Kilmainham Garda station on 01-6669700.